Over 200 services in more than
Like us on Facebook to keep up-to-date
It aims to raise community awareness of domestic and family violence and send a clear message that violence of this sort will not be tolerated.
Churches of Christ in Queensland is committed to achieving a future where all people are safe, respected and free from violence and abuse. We recognise that domestic and family violence is not just a private or personal issue.
The effects of violence has a significant impact on individuals, families and on the broader community.
Domestic and family violence is widespread in our community and has serious, far-reaching impacts on the lives of victims and survivors.
• Approximately one woman is killed by her current or former partner every week in Australia, often after a history of domestic and family violence.
• Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women are five times more likely to be victims of domestic homicide than other Australians.
• 1 in 4 women have experienced violence by an intimate partner
• 1 in 19 men have experienced violence by an intimate partner they were living with
• Around 80 percent of families referred to our early intervention services are experiencing domestic and family violence.
We know that being true to our values requires us to apply the same level of care and commitment to our staff as we would to those in the community.
Our workforce is over 80 percent female and based on community statistics we estimate nearly a third of our staff have been affected by domestic and family violence at some point in their life.
We also know that when someone is affected by domestic and family violence, negative impacts often flow into their working life.
Many victims disclose their experience of domestic violence to their workmates.
Research tells us:
We’re working hard to make sure our organisation is a safe for people to come forward about their experience of violence.
We’re committed to doing this by:
The Queensland Government makes a range of supports and resources for victims of abuse.